Thursday, September 13, 2012

Seriously?

"Danish nursery offers parents time for making babies"


I've heard this headline several times today, and now I've read it, but I still can't believe it. Apparently its a publicity event to highlight the problem of an aging population in Denmark.

Denmark is generally considered to have pretty good childcare (in terms of availability and price) within Europe, which is already phenomenal, compared to the situation in the US. But I still have to ask: Will these same nurseries be providing night nurses for free once a week to let the parents sleep while their new infant does not?

2 comments:

  1. Instead of trying to convince people to have kids, wouldn't it be easier to just increase immigration? I can't imagine there aren't a few people in countries with younger population distributions who would be willing to move there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Antisocial Scientist: I totally agree with you. It may also increase the diversity of their population and all the good things that immigration brings with it.

    -Wilkerson (From a country whose median age is a little less than 26.)

    ReplyDelete