Thursday, April 4, 2013

So easy your grandma could understand it ...

I'm not terribly fond of that phrase. When I'm frustrated at someone speaking to technically, in spite of repeated requests for them to slow down, I tend to ask them to explain it to me as if I'm a 5 year old. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it avoids insulting the intelligence and knowledge of a woman I've never met.

And now, there's a balm for it irritation that phrase  causes. Grandma Got STEM! This is a relatively new website that features women who are grandmothers who worked in some STEM field. It's been a nice bit of uplifting reading to show up every day on my blogroll, and a fascinating peek back through time. We all have grandmothers. Many of our mothers and grandmothers were scientists and engineers. Write about them. Send in their pictures. Mother's Day is next month. A copy of a "to appear" post makes a better mother's day present than a box of chocolates.

No comments:

Post a Comment