Monday, July 25, 2011

Thank you New York

On Sunday, New York state started performing gay marriages. New York is the most populous state of the union to have gay marriage, not just a Civil Union. Its very cool. I'm very excited. Here are some interviews from activists and couples from the day.

A minor point that caught my attention, listening to the news coverage: I really like the line being used at the end of marriage ceremonies by Mayor Bloomberg.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg: "And now for the moment that you have all been waiting for. Do you, John, solemnly declare that you take Jonathan to be your spouse? Do you promise to love, cherish and keep him for as long as you both shall live?"

John Feinblatt, groom: "I do."

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg: "By the powers vested in me by the state of New York, I pronounce you both married."


Read that again. "Pronounce you both married." The equality of that statement soothes my nerves. Nothing like starting out the state recognition of one's relationship symbolically on equal footing.

No comments:

Post a Comment